The older I get, the less interested I am in being right about people. I’d rather be careful with them.
It’s easy to look at someone’s actions and decide who they are. It’s harder to remember that we’re only seeing a chapter, not the whole story. We don’t know what kind of love they grew up with, what fears they carry, or what they’re still trying to protect. Sometimes people become controlling because they were never given certainty. Sometimes they need to be seen because they’ve spent a lifetime feeling invisible. Sometimes they hurt others without even realizing it.
Understanding someone’s story doesn’t excuse the pain they cause. Some boundaries are still necessary. Some distance is still healthy. But I’ve learned that I don’t have to choose between protecting my peace and keeping my compassion.
We rarely know what shaped someone’s heart. But we always get to decide what shapes ours.
I hope life never hardens me into believing that the only way to survive is to become less kind. If anything, I hope it teaches me to be gentler without becoming naive, to have boundaries without losing empathy, and to remember that the way I treat people says far more about me than the way they treat me.

No comments:
Post a Comment