Thursday, October 8, 2026

when it slips




I’ve always believed that the way people treat you when you’re around says a lot about them. But lately, I’ve been thinking that maybe what matters more is how they speak about you when you’re not.

It’s strange how one careless moment can change the way you see someone. Not because what they said was particularly cruel, but because of how naturally it came out. As if it were something they had said before, only this time, they forgot who was listening.

And I think that’s the part that stays with you.

You start remembering the conversations, the little heart-to-hearts, the times you genuinely thought you were on the same side. Then suddenly, those memories feel a little different.

Maybe the signs were always there. I’ve seen how easily kindness can turn into criticism the moment someone leaves the room. I just never imagined that one day, I might be on the other side of those conversations.

I don’t think everyone who disappoints us is necessarily a bad person. People are complicated, and perhaps we all contradict ourselves sometimes.

But I do think there’s something quietly heartbreaking about realizing that someone you felt safe with might not have been quite who you thought they were.

No confrontation, no dramatic ending. Just a small shift in how much of yourself you’re willing to share.

And maybe that’s what growing older is. Learning that you can still be kind to people, even when you no longer trust them the same way.

Some things don’t need to be discussed. They just need to be remembered.


No comments:

Post a Comment